UN Quardrennial Report_2011~2014
JTS contribution to the work of the UN
– JTS has implemented projects in India, the Philippines, Cambodia, Indonesia, Myanmar, Lao PDR and the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea that contribute to the achievement of the MDGs on eradicating poverty, achieving universal primary education, reducing child mortality, improving maternal health and combatting diseases.
JTS participation in the fora of the UN
– The JTS Representative participated in the Fourth High-Level Form on Aid Effectiveness hosted in Busan, Republic of Korea, on 30 November 2011 by UNDP, UN Global Compact and OECD. JTS supported the Busan Agreement.
JTS cooperation with UN Bodies
– In 2013, JTS provided humanitarian assistance and contributed to rapid response measures in the aftermath of Typhoon Haiyan in the Philippines by sharing information with OCHA about on-the-ground situation and the types of assistance that was needed.
Initiatives taken in support of the MDGs
– From 2011 until 2012, JTS supported MDG 1 on eradicating extreme poverty and hunger by providing 20 tons of baby food, 51 tons of baby formula, 33 tons of nutritional packets, 720,000 cartons of soy milk and 800 tons of flour to 12,000 people in 53 locations (orphanages, nursing homes and special education schools) in the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea.
– During the reporting period, JTS provided primary education to approximately 1700 students by operating the Sujata Academy in Dungeshwari, Bihar State, India. Also, JTS newly constructed 5 elementary schools in Ratanakiri Province and 11 elementary school in remote villages of Mindanao Island of the Philippines, in addition to repairing 80 classes in Marabut in the Philippines that were damaged by Typhoon Haiyan. These activities contributed to the achievement of MDG 2 on providing universal primary education.
– During the reporting period, JTS provided baby formula and nutritional food to 434 children suffering from serious malnutrition and low weight, as well as giving immunization shots to 2209 newborn babies, in the Dungeshwari region in Bihar State, India. In additions, JTS distributed iron supplement pills to 96 pregnant women and women of child-bearing age, contributing the achievement of MDG 4 and 5 respectively on reducing child mortality and improving maternal health.
– During the reporting period, JTS provided medicine and nutritional food to 52 tuberculosis patients through the Jivaka Hospital in Dungeshwari, Bihar State, India, contributing to the achievement of MDG 6 on eradicating diseases.
– JTS participated in the World Humanitarian Day campaign held on 19th August, 2014 in Gwanghwamun, Seoul, Republic of Korea, hosted by the Korean NGO Council for Overseas Development Cooperation (KCOC).